Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day Three- The project begins!

So I actually got to do some work today which was very exciting! I had to be in the lab at 8 (it'll take me a while to adjust to that actually!)

Last night I had dinner at the restaurant in my hotel. It was a pretty cool place because they have live Blues music almost every night. However eating alone is not preferable. I had something called a Bo burger which is actually a cheeseburger with a fried egg on top. Very tasty if I do say so myself. And everyone can be surprised because I finished the entire burger and all the fries in record time. (my guess is that was because I was very hungry and had no one to talk to! haha)

Today my day started of in a tissue culture lab watching Art Zaug (my advisor in the lab) grow human kidney cells with certain amounts of telomerase. Pretty cool, and I have orientation for using this lab next week!

I then finally got to pick up a pipette! (Feel free to pick on me for that statement)
I got to put together PCR reactions for the mutations I'm working with. I was only supposed to do the six original ones and save the other 5 for tomorrow but I'm staying later to work on the other 5 so I can move this project along quickly!

I forgot how much down time there was in a lab when you're first starting a project. Since I don't have multiple things to be working on right now, I have to wait for things to run. (Today the record time is a 4 hour wait!)

Tomorrow I'll get to start transforming cells with my mutations and finish up to digestion of my last 5 PCRs.

For anyone who would like to write me you can send mail or packages ;) to:

Kristina Kesel
SMART Program
University of Colorado-Boulder
347 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0347

Tonight, I'm meeting up with Miyoko, the former intern in the Boulder campus ministry, to go to midweek! Hopefully that'll give me a good chance to meet some people!

2 comments:

  1. This is completely amazing! You are so awesome Kristina! Oh, tell me if you would like me to send my scriptures at a later time for you, because there's like a 2 hour delay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a blog! KeselDays.blogspot.com!
    Don't know what in the world I'm going to write there, but we'll see

    ReplyDelete